Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thanksgiving holiday

As I posted a few weeks ago, I cooked thanksgiving at my house. I dried out the turkey a little, but afterwards I found out I should have soaked the turkey in a salt solution for 6 hours??? It makes sense, scientifically, but I never would have guessed. I would say that, besides the turkey, everything turned out ok. I couldn't eat everything because of the wheat and dairy problem, but my guests did. My sister-in-law and my friend from work really hit it off. BB broke open some wine and everyone had a good time. They both drove my friend home so she wouldn't have to stand out in the night waiting for the bus.

After thanksgiving, we drove down to the coast and went hiking on friday. It was a beautiful, clear 60 degrees up at Cascade Head that day. They we went to the in-laws house in Newport that night. On Saturday, we drove down to Cape Perpetua. It was cloudy and a little colder, but Devils Churn was spectacular. BB may post pictures for you to see. It is an inlet off the cape where the tide comes in fiercely and "churns" itself in this big bowl area. Then we did a small hike on top of the cape that gives an amazing view of 70 miles of coastline. Of course we stopped at the outlet mall in Lincoln city for some christmas shopping.

Then before we left, we tried out the Hatfield Marine Science Center (next to the Oregon Coast Aquarium). It is donation only and quite a bit smaller than the Aquarium, but it had tidepools with skates that swam with their noses in the air which made them look like they were showing off for us. Nibbles stayed there to touch them about 45 minutes. They had a nice octupus in a tank that would spray the spectators with water that the kids really liked. They also had fossils, whale and walrus skeletons and lots of tanks with algae, fish, anemones, star fish, etc.... It was a nice place, educational too.

I got sick (probably from gluten) from having eaten out so much over the weekend, so I am not looking forward to going out of town anytime soon. It is much safer for me to eat at home.

6 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

Sounds like a great holiday weekend.

T said...

That's cool. Sounds like a good time (minus the gettins sick part.)

Achtung BB said...

Must have been the Subway salad you had. You think salads would be safe, but I guess not. You forgot to mention how fussy Nibbles was the whole weekend.

shakedust said...

I didn't know about soaking the turkey. I always thought basting was enough.

roamingwriter said...

My mom does the soaking thing with the turkey and it is incredible. She also takes it out of the oven early and lets it come to full temp on the counter. I've only done one turkey myself - it was okay. I'll have to step to the plate and do one for the missionary dinner some year. Not this one though!

f o r r e s t said...

good times!