Friday, November 9, 2007

The First Thanksgiving


As the centuries old holiday approaches, I often wonder what it was like. How did the first pilgrims celebrate that first thanksgiving. Did they eat turkey, cranberries and pumpkin pie? They obviously didn't watch football on TV or travel great distances to see family as we do. My in-laws are flying the 1800 miles east to see BB's sister and family. My office mate is flying to Pennsylvania.
As you can tell from the picture, I did a little research on the subject of thanksgiving and found out that they most likely did not eat cranberry sauce and sweet potatoes. Historians know for sure that they ate venison and some type of wild fowl. Here is a possible list of food they might have feasted on from www.history.com/minisites/thanksgiving.

Foods That May Have Been on the Menu
Seafood: Cod, Eel, Clams, Lobster
Wild Fowl: Wild Turkey, Goose, Duck, Crane, Swan, Partridge, Eagles
Meat: Venison, Seal
Grain: Wheat Flour, Indian Corn
Vegetables: Pumpkin, Peas, Beans, Onions, Lettuce, Radishes, Carrots
Fruit: Plums, Grapes
Nuts: Walnuts, Chestnuts, Acorns
Herbs and Seasonings: Olive Oil, Liverwort, Leeks, Dried Currants, Parsnips

1 comment:

T said...

I think I like our version better--but I am a picky eater! :)

Happy "Turkey?" day!