Monday, February 25, 2008

Blueberry Bushes

I planted blueberry bushes in our front yard this weekend. It was hard work, but it's good to feel I accomplished something useful for our home. And the kids love blueberries!!! It's springlike weather here so it's a little early by midwest standards, but here it's perfect for planting. It will take 3-4 years for them to produce a crop of blueberries. That is hard for the kids to understand. But in a few years, we will have 5 trees making blueberries!! That is one of the great things about the Northwest, it's berry country.

I also spent 45 minutes trimming all of our rose bushes down. Roses grow very well in Portland. BB may have mentioned the famous Rose Garden in Washington Park here in Portland. It's beautiful. We also went to the Columbia River Gorge to Wahclenna Falls, but as we forgot our camera, BB cannot blog about that trip.

6 comments:

Achtung BB said...

They look good. I hope all your hard work pays off.

GoldenSunrise said...

The Northwest sounds like a beautiful place to live! I hope you get to enjoy your blueberry bushes.

shakedust said...

When I lived in Michigan we used to pick blueberries all the time. Fresh bluebarries better than the store-bought counterparts!

T said...

That's a lot of blueberries! Oh for a midwest Spring! This winter weather is a bummer this year.

Dash said...

Pancakes at your place!!!

BTW ... if you cook Blueberry pancakes over a fire - they turn green :-)

kids love that!

roamingwriter said...

We are having a little bit of spring weather here too. The daffodils are up and trees blooming. It's early though. I sort of a have a love hate relationship with gardening. I get out and start but half way through I wish I was done. I need to learn what to do with roses - we have a big rose bush in our yard here.