Monday, February 18, 2008

My job

I just wanted to clarify something I mentioned in my last blog about my job.
At my last job in KC, I used to work in Quality Control. My job was very necessary and it required a great deal of skill, but scientifically, I wasn't doing anything new and exciting, just the same thing week after week so product could be sold and the company could make money.

My new job is totally different. Not only am I in charge of the lab (lab manager), but I am allowed to learn new things that could potentially make me a great deal more marketable, in respect to my skills. One thing I always wanted to learn in KC was how they make the recombinant vaccines that we sold. A young woman in research would tell me about how she always loved working with DNA and that her job was just what you always wanted. She would tell me about the cloning, not in detail, but it fascinated me. I never dreamed that I would learn molecular biology to any great depth.

But my current boss is allowing me to learn as much as I can, so that when our current expert decides to go back to Japan, which he will, that he has someone who can do his cloning and mutations. So to say that I am excited that I am learning this is an understatement. It is something that has interested me for 5 years, at least. Today was my first experiment on my cloning project. I am really hoping that it goes well and that I don't fail.

5 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I am glad that you enjoy your job and that you are doing what you always wanted to do.

Achtung BB said...

I'm glad your happy with your job too. Soon we will clone an army of honey bees that will spread an alien virus that will infect the planet. Then everyone will have aliens popping out of them. Then there will be no stopping us! The world will be ours!

shakedust said...

It is important to like your job, so it's good that you are enjoying yours.

I think I understand the difference between roles that you describe because it is the difference between being a software tester and a software development manager in my field. Huge differences in the job role, but few people outside the field take the time to know what the differences are.

BB, that sounds like a good idea. I wonder why no one has made a movie based on that concept. ;)

Achtung BB said...

Maybe they already did(?) Maybe the idea came from an old TV show on Fox about a couple of FBI agents investigating weird things and government cover ups. Maybe the truth is out there.

shakedust said...

BB, that's a lot of maybes.