Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day Present

This Valentine's Day, BB got me a present I didn't know I wanted. He had gotten this movie, "Stardust", on the Queue about 2 months ago and I loved it. The kids did too. I had forgotten all about it actually. Until I was presented it today with some flowers for Valentine's Day. I was quite excited, having forgotten how much the family enjoyed this movie. When Woogy saw it tonight, he really wanted to watch it again so we broke the no TV rule.
Why did I enjoy this movie? Well, if you haven't seen it, it's quite unique. As unique as "Willow" was 15 years ago, another favorite of mine. I don't know why fantasy movies appeal to me so much, but they always have. And this is quite the fantasy. To fictionalize a universe where a fallen star is a beautiful young woman who can "shine" and whose heart, if eaten, brings eternal life? I think I may have to go get the book and see what this author has to offer, Neil Gaiman.
I know this is a pretty weak blog, but life is pretty normal and good so I couldn't think of anything else interesting enough in my life to blog about. If anyone really wants to know what is new in my life, I may start doing a new type of mouse dissection at work soon (that would be 3 dissections I do then) and next week, I am going to begin my first project of genetic cloning/engineering a new CHO (Chinese Hamster Ovary) cell stable cell line with an acid sensing ion channel type 2a inserted. But it will be trial and error, mostly error at first, I am sure.

4 comments:

Achtung BB said...

Oh yeah, an acid sensing ion channel type 2a is pretty obvious. Only real moron would use type 2b. Since you are cloning, is there anyway you can clone my dead ferret, Basil? I still have his ashes you know. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. I thought you might. I enjoyed going out to lunch with you today. I thought that was nice change.

Portland wawa said...

Cloning a plasmid into tissue culture and cloning a live animal are light years apart. I guess I shouldn't tell anyone what I do, huh?

GoldenSunrise said...

I think Dust watched Stardust.
You have an interesting job. I think the word "cloning" gets negative feedback. It doesn't sound like there would be an ethical problem with what you are doing.

shakedust said...

One person's weak blog is another's interesting one.

I haven't seen Stardust yet, but I want to.