Friday, January 4, 2008

New Years Resolution

I usually don't make resolutions. Most people don't ever keep them. They usually have to do with a lack of willpower in some aspect of your life. But I think it's a good idea to try to change one thing for the better. So I decided that I wasn't going to let the kids watch TV at night after work anymore. I just feel so guilty that they watch so much already. It's so easy to just turn it on, easy for me and it's what they want. But I feel like a horrible mom. BB says I shouldn't be so hung up on it, but I am.

So I have made it my New Years Resolution. They only thing I can't control is if BB comes home and watches Simpsons. But other than that, no TV. Then last night we had to go pick up a package from my sister at the post office. It was christmas presents for the kids. And guess what they both received?? Videos! So I felt like they should be able to watch them, since they were new presents. They would have cried forever if I didn't. I think that's a record for me though. I've never broken a new years resolution within 2 days before. I must get more backbone.

8 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I will not live in a house without the "Simpsons"! The average kid watches around 4-6 hrs a day. I have to agree that they don't need anymore, but it is hard to fill the time when it rains all the time.

T said...

Especially when they are younger. At least when they are older you can have them go draw or read a book or play a game! 4-6 hours of tv a day?! Is that an official statistic?

shakedust said...

Perhaps it would be easier to set a short limit on TV rather than going cold turkey? Not my place to say, though. I just say that because I am horrible about going cold turkey off anything.

Dash said...

My kids would point out that videos are technically not TV .. so they shouldn't count. Once they started getting access to the laptop, we started calling it "screen time" If it had a screen it was included in the time limit, ground etc.

... and yes that includes the screen in the cellphone.

Achtung BB said...

Good point Dash! If video's don't count as TV, my kids are doing great. I learned the 4-6 hours statistic in one of psychology classes years ago. I would imagine it has probably gone up.

GoldenSunrise said...

Don't give up on your resolution. I probably wouldn't count watching the videos as tv since it was a gift.

f o r r e s t said...

Just try to stick to the principle of the resolution-less TV, and if you happen to break the rules of no TV at night every once in a while, then no big deal.

Achtung BB said...

I think we should all just give up on resolutions and sit in the glowing warmth of television.