Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Reason to Sing

On Monday morning, my dad had exploratory heart surgery and it didn't go well. He coded on the table and they found 3 blockages close to his heart. I immediately looked into airline tickets, but a flight to Cedar Rapids would cost me $1000 and I wouldn't arrive until after midnight! I wouldn't be able to see me dad and be out $1000. So my two sisters drove up there to see him before his triple by-pass surgery this morning. We were all very worried and my step-mom made me feel like a heel for not coming. But BB and I decided I would only fly up if the surgery today went badly.

Praise the Lord, it went well. I just found out he came through his surgery fine. He is going to have to make some lifestyle changes and take 4-6 weeks off work to keep being well though.

So this brought up a touchy subject with BB and I. I think he should watch what he eats a little better, but then he points out that I eat healthy and exercise everyday and I am more sickly than he is. It's true. I wish I could say that my healthy living helps me, but is genetics overruling the good I do for my body??? I hope not. Because BB has better immune system and genes, can he live anyway he wants and not end up like my dad at 67?? I hope so. I guess there is no clear cut formula for living a healthy long life, is there??

6 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I think it really matters on your genes. Nobody can really predict the future. Life is too short to eat nothing but salads.

shakedust said...

I am happy to hear that your dad is doing better.

I think that for most people, eating right and execersizing does increase their lifespans.

GoldenSunrise said...

Glad your father made it through the surgery. Hope he continues to do better.

It's good that you eat healthy. I am trying to do better.

Portland wawa said...

My dad had some complications after surgery and has been really sick all week, but he is doing better now, Praise the Lord. But my two sisters were there for 3 days and saw dad for maybe 10 minutes total. So I am kind of glad I didn't spend $1000, but it would have been nice to have been there.

T said...

I'm glad he's doing better. It's a tough call to make in that situation when you live that far away. Sorry you had to miss it, but glad that it worked out and was the right choice.

roamingwriter said...

We just had the should we go back for certain funerals conversation. We didn't come up with a decision because I think the time when something occurs, will dictate what we ultimately decide. Hard decisions though.

I finally had to leave Dar alone and just realize he had to make his own decisions about food because it was driving me and him crazy. To my surprise, he started paying more attention of his own accord.