Monday, March 17, 2008

Very Sad News

Last night, we found out that a great couple in our home group just lost their baby. She was 33 weeks along. All we knew last week was that she had the "itchy, liver thing". We were going to bring them meals each week until she delivered.

I had never heard of this condition. Apparently, it's very rare (1 in 1000 women get it). I did a little research and found out it's called ICP. This is from the March of Dimes website: "ICP is a pregnancy-related liver disorder in which there are abnormalities in the flow of bile (a substance produced by the liver that aids in the digestion and absorption of fats). These abnormalities lead to a build-up of bile acids (components of bile) in the mother’s blood, resulting in symptoms such as severe skin itching. Up to 60 percent of women with ICP deliver prematurely (before 37 completed weeks of pregnancy)"

BB and I are very sad because they are our home group leaders, we see them every week, study the bible with them and pray with them. The Lord is our Shepherd.

4 comments:

Achtung BB said...

It is tragic. You can only imagine the helpless feelings. You can only conclude that it wasn't meant to be.

GoldenSunrise said...

I pray that God can give peace to the family and friends.

shakedust said...

I can't imagine. That is horrible. I hope that somehow they can find peace and hope in the face of such a heart-rending situation.

T said...

I will keep them in my prayers, that would be the worst thing to experience.