Friday, March 28, 2008

Family Issues

I am beginning to realize that how you view things and how your family views things are totally different. This can make life difficult.

Take my dad and step-mom. I am realizing that they had a completely different impression of how things would be after we moved to Portland. BB and I talked about it before we moved, of course. We would probably never go back to Iowa. We would fly into KC and hope my dad could come down. And we never anticipated going back every year, maybe every 2 years. However, I guess it was our mistake that we didn't share that with my dad and step-mom. Their impression was that we would come up to see them once a year. They apparently think we have lots of disposable income and endless vacation. So life has become difficult.

I am trying to smooth things out, but my step-mom is a formidable woman.
Our visit in May is causing all of the problems. BB and I are leaving Woogy with my sister and her kids in Rantoul. I have thought and prayed about it, and it just doesn't seem fair to my children to make them fly on the airplane to KC and then travel 8 hours up to Cedar Rapids. I have to take Nibbles this time and it is going to make for a terrible vacation, I am sure. I think it's the right decision. They can come down to KC if they want to see Woogy, after all.

So my family issues are quite a problem right now. I replied to my step-mom's disgruntled email with a long. long email explaining our situation and why we have come to this decision. I also said that I didn't want to come up in May if there are angry feelings toward me and unresolved issues. Either my dad and step-mom can accept our decision, in which case I will come. Or they can stay mad, in which case I will not come up in May. I think I did the right thing. I put the ball in their court, so to speak. We will see if I am booted from the family in Iowa!!

3 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I'm staying the fussing and feuding. I only agreed to spend the $1000 bucks on airline tickets if I could see a concert with A Forrest.

GoldenSunrise said...

It is hard when family has expectations on how often they want to see you. I wonder if we will ever get to take a real vacation.

f o r r e s t said...

Yes, that is unfair. You are adults now and have your own family and your own needs to take priority over other families expectations. They should and need to understand that.