Monday, October 22, 2007

Nibbles and the Terrible Twos

Nibbles has entered that age known as the terrible twos. And she is so much worse than her brother ever was at that age. BB and I differ a little in how we handle the 30 minute temper tantrums she is having.

She will get upset at something little, like not getting a toy she wants, and then she will go ballistic. Nothing will calm her. She'll take her clothes off, won't let you pick her up. If you try to touch her, she will scream and hit you and run off (this is a problem when she does it in public). I choose to ignore it if I can, if her behavior isn't causing problems, but often she does things like try to escape the doctor's office and I have to push her away from the door while she screams and hits me. I get looks from all the moms like I am handling it all wrong. The doctor's nurse put us in a special room to wait until the exam room was ready!!!

If it happens at home, it's often because she isn't getting to watch TV she wants so she will turn off the TV. I turn it on and she hits me, hard. So I spank her, and she screams and runs off only to return in a minute to repeat the entire scene. It's not like I can put her in time-out very easily in this situation. She won't stay. If I force her to stay in one area, she will hit me and try to squeeze by. The temper tantrums generally last until she is exhausted and collapses in my arms.

The worst timing of her tantrums was this weekend when we had family pictures taken. We almost cancelled, even though we had all dressed up and we were sitting in front of the camera. In one of the pictures, she is really puffy eyed and upset, but she calmed down a little, enough to take some pictures. But we didn't get the best ones because Nibbles wouldn't cooperate so we took whatever we could get.

Motherhood!

4 comments:

Achtung BB said...

She can be very trying. I recommend doing a time out with her. She obviously can not control herself. That's not always easy.

GoldenSunrise said...

Wow. I feel for you. My NJ will be 2 next July. He hates the doctor office also. I have to walk him around the hallway because he doesn't want to stay still in the exam room. He was crying before they gave him his shots.
Time-out sounds like a good solution.

shakedust said...

I guess it depends if time out works. If she won't stay, she won't stay.

I hope things get better for you.

T said...

I feel for you. Sounds like time out would be tough to enforce in this situation. Lisa Welchel has a book called "creative correction" It usually deals with behaviors in older children, but you might find an alternative to time out?