Friday, September 28, 2007

Brain Eating Amoeba??

This is hot off the internet. I couldn't believe it. It sounds like science fiction but it's true:
"A killer amoeba living in lakes enters the body through the nose and attacks the brain where it feeds until you die. According to the CDC, the amoeba called Naegleria fowleri (nuh-GLEER-ee-uh FOWL'-erh-eye) killed 23 people in the United States, from 1995 to 2004. "

I may never swim in a lake or river again!! BB will love that idea. It killed 6 people this year, mostly boys.

"The amoeba destroys tissue as it makes its way up into the brain, where it continues the damage, basically feeding on the brain cells. People who are infected tend to complain of a stiff neck, headaches and fevers. In the later stages, they'll show signs of brain damage such as hallucinations and behavioral changes."

I love science but this is scaring stuff. My boy loves to swim in rivers and lakes. He swam in about 5 of them this summer. What do we do??

10 comments:

T said...

Wow. I grew up swimming in rivers and lakes. I never enjoyed it like a pool though. I am glad I don't have a stiff neck, headaches or fevers or I'd be paranoid now! :)

Achtung BB said...

I think we should panic.

shakedust said...

Based on what I found at the CDC website [Link], it sounds like this is generally an issue in warm lakes and largely occurs during heat waves. I think that would make most lakes and rivers in Oregon more immune to the parasite, and it looks like the parasite attacks a lot more in the South.

I know that I got a little disturbed the last time I saw a special on parasites on the Discovery channel. Sometimes it is better not to know what to worry about.

GoldenSunrise said...

It does sound like an X-files episode.

T said...

(Cool background color! :))

Portland wawa said...

Thanks, I like pink. How do you insert a website link?

T said...

R u wanting to know about links in an actual post or on your webpage?

Portland wawa said...

I didn't know how to insert a link to the info on the web that I was talking about (brain-eating amoeba).

T said...

if you highlight "brain-eating amoeba" in your text in the "edit" mode you can then click on the "insert link" button (It is the one next to the italics button. A box will pop up for you to type in the address. Once you've done that it will show up as a link it will be underlined in the preview mode if it worked. Good luck!

f o r r e s t said...

I would eat the amoeba before it gets a chance to eat you.