Saturday, July 12, 2008

Eagle Creek in the Columbia River Gorge

Today, I went on a hike that we could never do as a family because Woogy can't handle a hike over 1.5-1.9 miles. I hiked 5 miles and I am quite sore, pushing Nibbles up rocky hills. I have heard about this hike and wanted to go so when BB and Woogy went to the church kickball tournament, I decided to head to Eagle Creek. It has very steep drop-offs so it's not very kid-friendly. And it was very rocky, but beautiful.



After a two and a half mile hike, you descended sharply to a gorge with the creek and waterfall. It was about 20 degrees cooler down there, but a nice place for lunch. Being only about 70 degrees with cold mountain water rushing by to a small waterfall, it wasn't the ideal place to get in the water. But Nibbles did try.

Nibbles loves playing in the water. We stayed at the bottom of the gorge for an hour and a half before she would leave.
They call this Punchbowl Falls. It was only a few hundred yards from where we ate lunch. People were jumping off it to the creek below, so it wasn't a huge waterfall. I stood on top of it to take this picture obviously.


The hike back finally reached ground level again and Nibbles played for another 45 minutes or so, this time where it was 90 degrees so the water was a little more enjoyable.
It is always nice to just hike with Nibbles without all of the complaining my son does. Maybe someday he will learn to love hiking as much as I do. Obviously, Nibbles loves to hike.

3 comments:

Achtung BB said...

Nibbles doesn't actually hike, she gets pushed in the stroller. She does seem however to enjoy the outdoors a little more than her brother.

GoldenSunrise said...

Sounds like a nice mother/daughter bonding day. Gorgeous scenery!

shakedust said...

I don't know how I missed this post. That is a beautiful area.

I guess nibbles still likes Dora. :)