Friday, June 13, 2008

Has summer arrived in Portland?

We have been waiting so patiently, 9 months of waiting for the rains to stop. We thought they had stopped last month, because we had a week of good weather before our vacation to Kansas. But we came back to cold temps and rain, at least rain 5-6 days of the week. We have seen a few good days of sunshine, but they have been few and far between this spring. And when June arrived, temps were in the 50's everyday with rain. Quite depressing. In KC, Woogy's birthday was always celebrated in air conditioning with 100 degree temps. Two days ago, it was 50 degrees at the park and cloudy. But it's Portland and people came to the party anyway.

Yesterday, the forecast was for 5 days of sunshine and 70 degree temps. Dare I say summer has finally arrived and the rains are stopping? I am almost afraid to because as soon as I do, we'll get rain. But I can't stop hoping. Now I know why Portland schools just got out two days ago and doesn't start until after Labor Day. Because summer hasn't started so why not keep kids in school.

I know this comes as quite ironic considering that most of my readers live in the Midwest and are being barragged with rain and have had record flooding. That is an interesting comparison. We are entering the dry season and they the rainy season. Well, let's hope that soon, we will take off the jackets and strangely, wear shorts or even short sleeve shirts. And what about sandals? I don't miss the air conditioner running all the time, but I do miss wearing short sleeve shirts. If BB starts blogging about hikes every weekend, you know summer has begun. We shall see.

2 comments:

Achtung BB said...

Three months of perfect weather. I guess this begins the hiking season. Woogy will be so excited.

GoldenSunrise said...

Don't give up hope. I too wish the rain would stop. : ) I can't complain about the temps though.